Our Founder…
Established in 1902 by an immigrant from Liverpool, England, Malloy Funerals & Cremations has been family owned and operated for five generations. The founder, Frank P. Malloy, was previously a fireman, but in 1888, he entered the livery stable business in a building located at 24th and Avenue E. In 1902, he opened F. P. Malloy & Son, a livery stable, ambulance service, and funeral home. His son, Frank R. Malloy, joined the business in 1909. Frank R. Malloy also had a son, Frank F. Malloy, III, who was active in the business. The Malloys introduced the first horse-drawn ambulance in Galveston in 1902. Just seven years later, they debuted the city’s first automobile ambulance. The Malloys continued to innovate, putting the first automobile hearse in Galveston into service in 1918. They provide ambulance service as well as funeral services until the 1960’s, when the city took over ambulance service.

Fresh Beginnings…
Our present facility was opened on August 16, 1930. At that time, the “F. P.” was dropped from the name, and the establishment became known simply as Malloy & Son Funeral Home. It was designed by Galveston architect, R. R. Rapp, who studied funeral homes throughout the country before designing the building. The general contractors for the building were well-known Galveston builders, Frank and Kennedy, who used many local businesses to help in constructing the new funeral home, including Fred Hartel Roofing and Walter B. Rourke Plastering. The new building took approximately four years to complete, and at the time of its opening was one of the largest funeral homes in the area, dubbed “the South’s finest funeral establishment.” The building contained many unique and forward-thinking features for its time, including a car washing station in the garage and a suite of rooms for families who wished to remain overnight.

Malloy Funerals & Cremations Today…
Upon the deaths of Frank P., Frank R., and Frank F., the funeral home remained in the family under the direction of Evelyn Malloy, Frank R. Malloy’s wife. Following her death, the funeral home was inherited by the three surviving grandchildren of founder Frank P. Malloy. After several years of joint ownership, Rosemary Malloy Kimbrell Hanson bought out the other two grandchildren, becoming the sole owner. Malloy Funerals & Cremations is currently owned by Rosemary’s son, Ron Hanson, a 4th generation of the Malloy family, and operated by his daughter, Tiffany Hanson, a 5th generation Malloy family member.